Sunday 26 October 2008

Time and date

There are some things which I simply refuse to understand- one of them is the concept of daylight savings time.

I knew that last night, the clocks were turned back an hour, to take us back into winter time. But still, today, I was quite surprised to find that the clock on my laptop said 10:30, while the regular clock said 11:30, and it took me a brief second to remind myself to set the wall-clock correctly.

I've heard explanations about the need to save energy being the driving force to convince whole nations to adopt this timely exercise (trying to make a PJ there, in case you didn't get it!). But I'm not buying it. Most people here end up working long hours anyway, so how are we saving any energy? All the offices in Canary Wharf are lit up all night, when nobody's working; so where's the energy saving? In the US, Mountain time follows daylight savings, except the Navajo nation (excluding the Hopis in Navajo nation who do follow daylight savings). Confusing? Good, that was the objective.

Just leave the clocks be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seattle time moved back an hour last night. Geetha and I stayed up until two in the morning to watch the computer clock flip back to 1:00 after 1:59.