Saturday 10 January 2009

It's showtime, folks!

Recently, I was in one of those movie moods, where I watch lots of movies.

First one I watched was Das Vidaniya- this is a pretty simple story of a man (Vinay Pathak) discovering that he's about to die, and makes a list of things to do, and sets about doing them. The acting was really good, and Vinay Pathak carries the movie single-handedly. He portrays the role so well, that it's very easy for the viewer to feel the joy and sadness of every moment of the movie. In short, a must-watch movie.

The second one was not too good, but still sort of watchable. This was Dostana- a movie about two straight men pretending to be gay in order to share a flat with a beautiful straight woman, who they both happen to fall for. This could have been a very thoughtful, and well-made movie. Instead, it just succeeded in annoying me, for the way it stereotypes gay men. The movie was a bit over-the-top on that front, so I'd recommend watching it only if you're willing to accept the prejudiced Bollywood-tinted look at sexuality.

Then, I attempted to watch Yuvvraaj. This was an absolutely disastrous movie, and after about 15 minutes, wanted to stop the pain. I bravely continued on for another 15 minutes hoping that somehow magically, Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif would learn to act. But no, that didn't happen. So, that was that. I dont know if the rest of the movie was any good- I decided to end the torture and move on to the next movie.

The next one was Welcome- this is a must-watch entertaining movie, about a gangster who wants a nice, decent, good-family kind of guy to marry his sister to. Concept is good, acting is really good, quite funny too. Nana Patekar and Akshay Kumar should stick to such roles rather than action movies.

My next was National Treasure-part 2. Treasure movies, I like. Action movies, yes! Not exactly Oscar-winning material, and it's a bit silly. But, it kept me interested, and I watched the whole thing. That is a big deal in itself. So, this one gets a thumbs-up.
Latest one I've seen is Slumdog Millionaire. It's got a couple of rather gross scenes, quite unnecessary I think. But, the movie has a nice concept, and the actors are nice enough. The kids who play the younger versions of the main pair have done a really good job. The movie's definitely worth watching.

1 comment:

Haru said...

Hmm, somehow the first two movies sound like hollywood plot ripoffs.

Can't really say much about the next two, but makes me wonder why you'd go on a hindi movie spree when there's so much better to watch :P

As for NT-2, they shouldn't ever make sequels as keeping a character history for a new plot is generally an epic phail.

As for slumdog, the movie was awesome, the book even more so. And the youngest kids apparently didn't even speak English.

btw please allow non blog-spotters to comment